Mental Health Resources

San Bernardino County

Crisis Services


If you or a loved one are experiencing a life-threatening situation, dial 911.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 988

If you or a loved one are experiencing a mental health crisis, dial 988. Free and confidential support for people in distress, local prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals. Dial 988. Spanish speakers, dial 1-888-628-9454.

Department of Behavioral Health

The San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health Access Unit provides crisis referrals 24/7. Dial 1-888-743-1478.

Crisis Walk in Centers (CWIC)​ and Crisis Stabilization Units (CSU)

The Crisis Walk In Centers (CWIC) and Crisis Stabilization Units (CSU) are much-needed locations for county residents who are in need of emergency psychiatric services. They conduct psychiatric assessment and crisis stabilization for those clients who are in acute psychiatric distress, are a danger to themselves for others, or are gravely disabled. The CWICs and CSUs provide a care alternative that enables individuals to be treated and stabilized in their community. They serve both adults and youth.

  • CWIC High Desert: Valley Star Behavior Health, Inc., 12240 Hesperia Road, Victorville, CA 92395. Dial 760-245-8837. Hours of operation: 24/7.
  • CWIC Morongo Basin: Valley Star Behavioral Health, Inc., 7293 Dumosa Ave., Suite 2, Yucca Valley, CA 92284. Dial 855-365-6558. Hours of operation: 24/7.
  • Windsor Center: 1481 North Windsor Drive, San Bernardino, CA 92404. Dial 909-361-6470. Administrator: Theresa McKinley (909-501-9102).
  • Merrill Center: 14677 Merrill Avenue, Fontana, CA 92335. Dial 951-643-2340. Administrator: Lisa Hecker (909-365-9727).​

Community Crisis Response Team (CCRT)

CCRTs are community-based mobile crisis teams that provide assistance to those who are experience a mental health related emergency. Services include mental health assessments, relapse prevention, intensive follow up services, and on-site crisis intervention. Teams are available every day, 7am-10pm.

  • West Valley (Chino Hills, Chino, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Fontana, Montclair): Dial 909-458-1517. (Pager: 909-535-1316).
  • East Valley (Yucaipa, Redlands, Loma Linda, Colton, San Bernardino, Bloomington, East Fontana): Dial 909-421-9233. (Pager: 909-420-0560)
  • High Desert (Hesperia, Victorville, Apple Valley, Phelan, Barstow, Adelanto, Lucerne Valley): Dial 760-956-2345. (Pager: 760-734-8093).
  • Morongo Basin: Dial 760-499-4429.
  • Community Crisis Services Administration: 850 E. Foothill Blvd., Rialto, CA 92376. Dial 909-873-4453.

Crisis Residential Treatment (CRT)

These CRTs serve San Bernardino County residents ages 18 to 59, with a maximum of 16 beds. Length of stays range from 30 to 90 days, depending upon the facility. They provide a positive, temporary alternative for people experiencing a serious psychiatric episode or intense emotional distress who might otherwise face voluntary or involuntary hospitalization and/or incarceration.

The STAY Center

Star's Crisis Residential Treatment Center (called "The STAY") is a short-term (up to 90 days), 14-bed center for Transitional Age Youth (TAY) ages 18-25 in crisis, located in San Bernardino. It is open 24/7 for voluntary admissions. Provides mental health services, peer support, community connections, LGBTQ support, and is available to those with or without Medi-Cal. Call (909) 763-4760 ext. 100. Located at 780 Gilbert St., Bldg. H, San Bernardino, CA 92415.

Designated Hospital Facilities

A designated facility is a hospital certified as being capable of holding a person and treating them against their will if "probable cause" exists to do so. The initial 5150 allows for a 72 hour period for evaluation and treatment. However, additional time periods can be initiated by hospital doctors if cause is proven. These are the designated facilities in San Bernardino County:


Crisis Lines and Help Lines


If you or a loved one are experiencing a life-threatening situation, dial 911.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 988

If you or a loved one are experiencing a mental health crisis, dial 988. Free and confidential support for people in distress, local prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals. Dial 988. Spanish speakers, dial 1-888-628-9454.

Inland Southern California Crisis Helpline

Free and confidential. Trained counselors, including bilingual counselors, are available to provide support. Dial 951-686-HELP (4357).

California MHASF Warm Line

Available 24/7, the MHASF Warm Line is a non-crisis emotional support phone and chat line service for California residents. It is operated by peers who have lived experience with mental health challenges. Call or text 855-600-WARM (9276). 

NAMI HelpLine

The NAMI HelpLine is a free, nationwide peer-support service providing information, resource referrals and support to people living with a mental health condition, their family members and caregivers, mental health providers, and the public. (This is not a crisis line and does not provide mental health counseling). Available 10am to 10pm (ETD) Monday through Friday, dial 1-800-950-NAMI (6264), text "HelpLine" to 62640 or email at

The NAMI Teen & Young Adult HelpLine 

 A free nationwide peer-support service providing information, resource referrals, and support to teens and young adults. (This is not a crisis line and does not provide mental health counseling). Dial 1-800-950-6264 or text "Friend" to 62640 or email

Teen Line

For non-emergency calls. Provides support, resources, and hope to young people through a hotline of professionally trained teen counselors and outreach programs that de-stigmatize and normalize mental health. Dial 866-948-2988  (6pm-10pm PST) or text "TEEN" to 839863 (6pm-9pm PST).

National Disaster Distress Helpline

 Hotline is available 24/7 to all residents in US and its territories who are experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Dial 1-800-985-5990.

Mental Health Support, Services and Clinics

Department of Behavioral Health

Overview of the different resources and services provided by San Bernardino County, including links to the county's 24-hour helplines for mental health (888-743-1478) and substance use disorder (800-968-2636).

Office of Consumer and Family Affairs

Provides assistance and support to consumers and their families. Links consumers and families to treatment services, encourages family participation in the treatment process, and educates consumers on how to advocate for their recovery. Call (909) 388-0818.

SAC Health System

The Community Resource Center provides for the comprehensive basic needs of struggling families by offering food, case management, educational opportunities, and a broad network of community services. It is open 8am to 5pm (closed 12pm to 1pm for lunch) Monday through Friday. Call (909) 771-2891.

Recovery Based Engagement Support Team (RBEST)

The RBEST project provides community (field-based) services in the form of outreach, engagement, case management, family education, support, and therapy for the most challenging diverse adult clients in the community who suffer from untreated mental illness in and effort to "activate" the individual into the mental health system to receive appropriate services. The team can be reached at (909) 421-9452.

Click here to watch a video about the RBEST program.

Loma Linda University, Behavioral Medicine Center

Connect to Loma Linda University's Behavioral Health programs, including mental health and substance use treatment. Call (909) 558-9275.

South Coast Community Services

Provide life-essential services to children, teens, adults, and families. Serving the residents of Orange County and San Bernardino County.  Call (877) 527-7227. SCCS mental health clinic locations can be found here

Children's Network

The Children's Network focuses on educating and increasing awareness efforts to reduce rates of child abuse and neglect in the county. Located at 825 E. Hospitality Ln., 2nd Floor, San Bernardino, CA 92415. Call (909) 383-9677.

Transitional Age Youth (TAY) Centers

TAY are individuals between the ages of 16 and 25. TAY Centers offer recreational activities, shower and laundry facilities, support groups, and referral and linkage to other resources. TAY Centers are generally open from 8am to 5pm,  Monday through Friday and are located in:

  • San Bernardino: San Bernardino One Stop Transitional Age Youth Center, 780 East Gilbert Street, San Bernardino, CA 92415, (909)-387-7194.
  • Ontario: Mental Health Systems, Ontario One Stop TAY Center, 316 East E Street, Ontario, CA 91764, (909) 983-4466.
  • Victorville: Victor Community Support Services, Victorville TAY Center, 14360 St. Andrews Dr., Suite 11, Victorville, CA 92395, (760) 243-5417
  • Yucca Valley: Valley Star Community Services, One Stop TAY Center, 58471  29 Palms Hwy. Suite 102, Yucca Valley, CA 92284, (760) 853-4888.


Clubhouses Peer Support Programs

Clubhouses are Peer Support Centers for people with lived mental health experiences ages 18 and over. Peers are responsible for the overall direction and operations of the clubhouse with minimal staff oversight. Peers run various work groups, such as nutrition, cooking, budgeting, and art. They also lead various support groups and social activities that involve peers helping peers in their recovery. They offer a safe and caring environment for peers to spend time with each other. Clubhouses are located in:

  • San Bernardino: TEAM House, 201 W. Mill St., San Bernardino, CA 92408, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-3pm, (909) 386-5000.​
  • Rialto: Pathways to Recovery, 850 E. Foothills Blvd., Rialto, CA 92376, Monday through Friday, 8am-4:30pm, (909) 421-4672.
  • Rialto: Pacific Clinics-Rialto Fulfillment Unity Network, 1501 S. Riverside Ave., Rialto, CA 92376, Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, (909) 877-4889.​​
  • Ontario: Amazing Place, 2940 Inland Empire Blvd., Ontario, CA 91764, Monday through Friday, 8am-4:30pm, (909) 458-1396.
  • Morongo Basin: Santa Fe Social Club, 56020 Santa Fe Trail, Suite M, Yucca Valley, CA, 92284, Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, (760) 369-4057.​
  • Victorville: Serenity Clubhouse, 12625 Hesperia Rd, Suite B, Victorville, CA 92392, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4pm, (760) 955-6224.​
  • Lucerne Valley: A Place to Go Clubhouse, 32770 Old Woman Springs Rd, Suite B, Lucerne Valley, CA 92356, Monday through Friday, 12:30pm-5pm, (760) 248-2327.​
  • Barstow: Desert Stars, 1841 E. Main St., Barstow, CA 92311, Friday, 10am-2pm, (760) 255-5705.​

Substance Abuse Treatment

DBH Substance Use Disorder and Recovery Services  

DBH offers a wide variety of substance use disorder recovery services for youth and adults. Call (800) 968-2636 to get a free and confidential assessment and help finding the treatment right for you, a friend, or a family member.

Substance Abuse Treatment & Long-Term Drug Rehab

SAMHSA National Helpline: 1-800-304-2219. Website has lengthy directory listing drug detox and substance abuse treatment available in the state.

Basic Needs and Assistance 


Dial 211 to be routed to a regional calling center whose referral specialists will put callers in touch with need resources including those related to basic human needs (food, clothing banks, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance, etc.), physical and mental health resources, work support, access to services in non-English languages, support for older Americans and persons with disabilities, support for children, youth and families, and suicide prevention.

Find Help

Find food assistance, help paying bills, and other free or reduced cost programs.​

Legal Services


Dial 211 to be routed to a regional calling center whose referral specialists will put callers in touch with need resources including legal services.

Inland Counties Legal Services 

 Nonprofit organization providing legal services to low-income persons residing in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. Dial the intake line (888) 245-4257 or the senior line (800) 977-4257. ​

County Patients' Rights Advocate Office

The office advocates for and protects the legal, civil, and human rights of behavioral health consumers in the county. Contact this office if you have any complaints or grievances concerning mental health services.

850 East Foothill Blvd., Rialto, CA. 92376. Call Monday through Friday (8am to 5pm): (800) 440-2391 or (909) 421-4657.

California Correctional Health Care Services

Provides care that includes medical, dental, and mental health services to California's incarcerated population. Its mission is to facilitate the successful reintegration of individuals back into their communities equipped with the tools to be drug-free, healthy, and employable members of society. Provides education, treatment, and rehabilitative and restorative justice programs, all in a safe and humane environment. Contact by email (, fax (916-691-6183), or mail (P.O. Box 588500, Elk Grove, CA 95758).​

Superior Court of CA, Mental Health Court

Responsible for providing information on and scheduling hearings about mental health issues, including LPS (Mental Health) Conservatorships. Provides free assistance with family law, child support, guardianship, landlord/ tenant and small claims cases. Staff can answer questions about court processes and procedures, review your forms after you fill them out, provide educational materials (including samples) and referrals to local nonprofit organizations. The only requirement for receiving services is that you do not have an attorney. Call (909) 498-2296. Located at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Behavioral Health Building, 400 North Pepper Ave., Colton, CA 92324.

Housing Information

Housing for those living with mental illness varies from room and board to Long Term Residential Therapeutic housing in locked settings. What works will be based on individual needs--one size does not fit all. Below are links to DBH housing services for those living with mental illness.

San Bernardino County Housing Resources

Includes resources for tenants and landlords, legal resources, and links to federal and state resources. It includes recent changes that affect renters, landlords, and homeowners.


Dial 211 to be routed to a regional calling center whose referral specialists will put callers in touch with need resources including those related to basic human needs (food, clothing banks, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance, etc.), physical and mental health resources, work support, access to services in non-English languages, support for older Americans and persons with disabilities, support for children, youth and families, and suicide prevention.

Homeless Resource Guide (San Bernardino County)

Put together by the Sheriff's Department's Project HOPE and the Department of Behavioral Health's Homeless Outreach Support Team (HOST), the guide includes general resources for the unhoused, counseling and mental health services, substance use resources, domestic violence assistance, health care and dental, and other resources.

Homeless Outreach Support Team (H.O.S.T.) 

The San Bernardino County, Department of Behavioral Health, Homeless Outreach Support Team (HOST) is an outreach-based program providing services in the field to engage chronically homeless individuals into permanent supportive housing.  Outreach in the field includes assistance to complete applications, assistance to gain necessary documentation, and linkage to benefits and other resources. Contact at 909-421-4633.

Sheriff Department's Project HOPE (Homeless Outreach and Proactive Enforcement Team)

Links homeless population to resources and providers to stop the revolving door of arrest, incarceration, and then release based on homeless related crimes. Contact by email ( or call (909) 387-0623 or (844) 811-HOPE (4673)

Locked Facilities: Description

Locked facilities include acute inpatient psychiatric care. These are often special units at hospitals or mental clinics. Patients are put on a 5150 (involuntary psychiatric hold) to prevent danger to self or others or if they are gravely disabled. Patients are evaluated for up to 72 hours to ensure stabilization. Once stabilized, they can be discharged to a lower level of care. The involuntary stay can be extended by a psychiatrist for up to 14 days via a 5250.

  • Sub-acute level of care is for individuals on conservatorship (a public guardian or family member decides for the patient). The length of stay depends on behavior and ability or willingness to participate in groups and take medication.
  • An Institute for the Mentally Ill is for patients who still require conservatorship but are higher functioning than on the sub-acute level.
  • It is also possible to request involuntary admission at a 24 hour facility. A psychiatrist has to evaluate the patient within 24 hours and can change to a 5150 if necessary.
  • Prior to release, social workers at the locked facilities will work with the adult patient or their family to find appropriate housing, typically at a family member's home, a Board and Care, or a Room and Board facility. Social workers in San Bernardino County are provided with a weekly list of available facilities.

Board and Care (Residential Care Facilities): Description

Board and Care facilities are licensed by the state to provide room and boards, 24-hour supervision of residents aged 18 to 59, and dispense medications. A doctor needs to be involved in order to qualify for Board and Care. The facilities are privately owned and admission is at the discretion of the operator of the facility. The facilities provide assistance in taking medication, scheduling treatment appointments, and transportation. Dial 211 for information.

Room and Board: Description

Room and Boards are unlicensed, privately operated facilities for independent living. Since there is no official oversight, the quality of Room and Board facilities can vary greatly. Consumers are offered a bed (usually in double, sometimes also in single or triple rooms), food, and utilities. The number of meals per day can vary. This living-arrangement is for adults who are able to provide for their own daily needs. Dial San Bernardino County's Department of Behavior Health, 1-800-440-2391.

Finding a Mental Health Professional

NAMI-SBA does not endorse or recommend specific providers. However, we do provide resources for finding a provider on your own.

What Type of Professional Are you Looking For?

Psychiatrists and therapists provide different, but complementary services. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who prescribe medication to patients to treat mental illness. Meetings will be brief (10-15 minutes) and focus on how the medication is working and any side effects. Counselors or therapists focus on talking with the client about their problems. Meetings generally last around 50 minutes. ​​

Finding a Mental Health Professional

NAMI provides an overview of steps to take to find a mental health professional. It includes a list of the types of questions you should think about or ask as you "shop around." Once you have identified a number of providers that accept your insurance (if you have any), call, or have a friend or family member call, the provider to ask questions, confirm they accept your insurance, and set up an appointment.

Check your Insurance Website

If you have insurance, go to your insurance website and look around at the mental health professionals that accept your insurance. Gather at least 3 names and phone numbers just in case. (Sometimes different providers will be working within the same treatment center). Identify what types of visits (and how many) your insurance covers. 

Psychology Today's (APA) Find a Mental Health Professional

The American Psychological Association (APA) provides an online portal for finding therapists and psychiatrists. You can read about and learn more about the mental health professionals, including education, experience, and contact information.

SAMHSA's National Helpline and Treatment Locator

This 24/7 hotline, available in English and Spanish, can provide referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations.

Help Us Identify More Resources

If you have valuable nonprofit resources you would like us to evaluate, please fill out this form. We will evaluate your suggestion for potential inclusion in this guide.  Please note that we generally only consider resources that are aimed at residents of San Bernardino County.

Haven't found what you need here? Contact us at

This list of resources is not comprehensive and inclusion on the list does not constitute an endorsement. We regularly update and improve this list of resources.  If you see something missing or incorrect, please let us know: